Friday, December 22, 2006

Exquisite Shopping


The best thing about moving downtown is the vibrant boutique scene right around my corner.
Last week, I called in sick and spent the day pounding the pavement in search of the perfect dress for my brother's upcoming bar mitzvah on New Year's Eve. I needed something special, slightly conservative, and definately vintage!

A stones throw away from my apartment at Exquisite Costume I found THE dress! Exquisite's owner, Stacey Lanna handpicked it for me along with a couple high waisted wool skirts that were pretty awesome as well. The dress is a luxurious navy blue velvet from the 1940's with puffed sleeves and a flounce to the skirt which hits mid-calf. Don't you love the feeling of trying something on and knowing that you will not leave without taking it home! The dress was an instant hit and a perfect fit and I quickly snatched it up, an unexpected finaly to my normal shopping trips that are plagued with indecision.

Be sure to check out Exquisite Costume (see business card on right and click for enlargement). Compared to most vintage stores laden with overpriced and unoriginal polyester threads, the collection at Exquisite Costume is classy and quite impressive. The shop stocks Victorian lace blouses, mod high heels, flowy 1970's disco tops, and antique accessories - hats remniscent of a speakeasie crowd and groovy hand bags of a certain 1960's glamour. Prices are reasonable and although some items are more expensive, take solace in the fact that the vintage clothing and accessories at Exquisite Costume were not picked off the rack of your local salvation army and marked up. Stacey works as a stylist on fashion editorials and has been a vintage collector for years. This stuff is legit. Now if only I could find the perfect heels...

No comments:

Blog Archive

The Communal Closet