Thursday, November 30, 2006

street art


A few weeks back during some of our regular Thursday night debauchery in town, I asked a couple of you to pose in front of this vivid display of street art right down the block from my apartment.

Well, turns out there is actually some sort of mission behind the madness.
Check out the Wooster Collective for more incredible displays of street art from across the world:

Wooster Collective



The very idea of a collective seems to me like both a glamorous (1960's hello!) and practical way for a bunch of individuals to make an impact.
With regard to graffiti or street art, New York City seems to have the most stringent opposition to this type of self expression compared to other urban destinations across the globe. In Barcelona, I was blown away by the long stretchs of graffiti murals as in Berlin where there were also periodical street exhibitions consisting of junk sculptures- an old mattress, or a broken rennaisance-esque sculpture with weeds growing out of it, artfully arranged in a large alleyway. Well, for my photo 1 class last semester, I took several black and white shots of this display which were pretty well received...my creativity or the original artists?
Which brings me to my final topic of appropriation be it art or public space, but i'll leave it at that as i've written one too many reading responses about the topic on courseworks. The cool thing about this avenue is that you can post pics!!

No comments:

Blog Archive

The Communal Closet