Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Morning Ladies

Sorry to turn the blog into a negative rant space so quickly after it was created with love but I have to say, going home for break gave me some time and perspective to think about what I am doing and where I am working and I don't know if I can keep doing it. In many ways, this is an ideal job. The place is prestigious, the pay is good, dinner and car rides home, no crazy weekend hours, interesting cases, the lawyers are nice, I am getting lots of praise and encouragement from my teammates and learning what it's like to be a lawyer... but I can't seem to get over the fact that my office has no window, that I leave for work when it's cold and barely light out and return when it dark and everything is closed. Some days, I don't get outside for 12 hours. For what? I am a legal assistant-- I can't even explain to people what I do all day. I will probably get good recommendations for law school and be on my way after 2 years and forget I ever felt like this. The problem is not that the job sucks or I'm not learning anything. I am, but sitting on a plane for 6 hours and talking to all my sister's friends who are about to graduate and travel made me wonder if there is something else I could be doing with fewer drawbacks-- something that is both a good job and fun! I heard about one job where you go around the world to different cities for 3 months at a time and sell advertising space in the Tokyo Times. You work in small teams, make salary and commission and live in nice prepaid apartments and dress stylish and professional to attract clients. Everyone is under 26 and the guy I know who is doing it said they have gone to Cairo, Berlin, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and next Rio and Latin America. It sounds so exciting. But I'm sure I will run into the same 6th month slump if I took that job. No friends, no boyfriend, no home... the grass is always greener. I think I felt the 6th month slump when I started at Columbia, when I went abroad and in every long term relationship I've had. There is something about wanting to jump ship before committing to things. So far I have stuck everything out and been happy for it. But I wonder if I would be even happier going for a change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The grass IS greener on the other side!
Well, if you think about your routine, what is lacking? Do you want a job that permits you to go outside more during daylight hours? A position that gives you interaction with a more diverse set of individuals? A way to spend your time helping others?
Now that you have some experience in the workforce, perhaps it is possible for you to pinpoint exactly what is it you want to pursue and what environment you want to do it in.
That being said, I myself am always wondering what comes next?
At what point do you have to start to think about the next step and at what point should you sit back and appreciate what you have going for you and stop wandering?

Blog Archive

The Communal Closet