Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Weekend Shopper

Shopping can be a lot better when you have an excuse. Though you may convince yourself that you are only setting out for one item, inevitably you will return home with one extra necessity. This past Sunday, I hit the ubiquitous NoLiTa/LES boutiques to find the perfect dress. This time, I was looking for something S-E-X-Y; a flirty creation in a bright spring color. I started out heading east towards towards Orchard street where I stumbled into Frock (148 Orchard Steet between Stanton and Rivington) which has received some publicity for its one of a kind vintage dress selections. I tried on an incredibly well-crafted green and white floral taffeta cocktail dress circa 1950. The strapless bodice was well boned and the structured fit of the top offset the playful green hues and large cross shaped bow whose ends extended slightly below the hem of the dress. Unfortunately, at $425, I was going to have to pass up this magnificent peice as the color was reminiscent of St. Patty's green, and I figured it would be relegated to a one hit wonder, left in the back of my closet for a the Tupperware party I was never going to.
I continued further east to my roomate's favorite, Dolce Vita (149 Ludlow between Stanton and Rivington) www.shopdolcevita.com. The store features a great run down of current trends and basics including a trendy shoe line and a collection of delicate accessories. A couple of doors down exists a smaller Dolce Vita outlet which features many styles at discounted prices. Here I scored a classy red satin halter dress for a mere $25. Ironically, its magenta sister was listed at $200 two doors down. The dress was certainly a steal, yet not quite the one of a kind outfit I was craving.



My Dolce Vita cocktail dress; great value for a classic staple with unique details.




Oftentimes while shopping, obstacles like price or originality get in the way of making a purchase. The handmade, contemporary and reasonably priced attire including graphic t-shirts, gold jewelry, and canvas tote bags at my next and final stop The Young Designer's Market which runs Saturdays and Sundays at 268 Mulberry in NoLiTa, was a well-located cure for my end of the day, shopping frustrations. One notable pick at the sizable market was the Box 185 booth where designer Sara Kaiser rocked her handmade leg warmers with faux fur fringe strategically located along the back of the leg, over skinny jeans and peaking out of tall boots. The leg warmers came in many faux-fur and patterened variations which naturally seem a bit more suitable for a funky fall and winter look. Luckily, Sara was kind of enough to give us some tips for spring. One of her favorite looks for warmer weather is a classic white skinny jean. She recommended pairing this spring/summer pant with a flowy, empire waist top and a put together day or evening look. Finally, at one booth featuring Japanese imports, I couldn't resist a pair of silver snake-skin low heeled pumps with bows which I plan to wear out dancing with a pair of skinny jeans and a t-shirt.
LESSON LEARNED: Sometimes you might not find what exactly what you're looking for, but if you're lucky you'll return with a new purchase to distract you for the time being:)

1 comment:

Loislane said...

Wow Girl...You writing reads like a Vogue entry. I'm impressed.

Blog Archive

The Communal Closet